From team websites to signage and public tours, the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Communications Contest challenges teams to educate others about their houses, their experiences, and their projects.
A jury of communications professionals awards points for team communications efforts, including the quality, creativity, delivery, and innovation of their outreach documentation, on-site tours, and educational strategies.
The Communications Jury evaluates:
- Communications strategy
- Is the communications strategy comprehensive, consistent, and integrated?
- Are the educational and outreach messages effective?
- Electronic communications
- How well does the team communicate its messages to online audiences?
- Is the team website logical, consistent, and enjoyable?
- Are social media used effectively?
- Public exhibit materials
- Do the signage and handout presented to visitors communicate the team's messages?
- Are the public exhibit materials creative, original, and informative ?
- Public exhibit presentation
- Is the house tour informative, interesting, and engaging?
- Audiovisual presentation
- Is the audiovisual presentation interesting and informative?
- How well does the presentation showcase the completed house?