Solar Decathlon Press Room
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon press room provides contacts, information, and resources to members of the media who cover Solar Decathlon-related news.
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon is an award-winning program that challenges collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive. The winner of the competition is the team that best blends affordability, consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency.
The competition shows consumers how to save money and energy with affordable clean energy products that are available today. The Solar Decathlon also provides participating students with hands-on experience and unique training that prepares them to enter our nation's clean energy workforce.
The next Solar Decathlon will take place Oct. 8–18, 2015, at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California. The Solar Decathlon competition houses will be open to visitors from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily on eight days over two weekends:
- Thursday, Oct. 8–Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015
- Thursday, Oct. 15–Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015.
Open to the public free of charge, the Solar Decathlon gives visitors the opportunity to tour the houses, gather ideas to use in their own homes, and learn how energy-saving features can help them save money today.
These Solar Decathlon resources provide important information for members of the press. See Solar Decathlon:
Explore these links for additional information about the Solar Decathlon:
- Frequently asked questions
- Event history
- Team information
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- California State University, Sacramento
- Clemson University
- Crowder College and Drury University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- New York City College of Technology
- Team NY Alfred: State University of New York at Alfred College of Technology and Alfred University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Texas/Germany: The University of Texas at Austin and Technische Universitaet Muenchen
- University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
- University of California, Davis
- Team Orange County: University of California, Irvine; Chapman University; Irvine Valley College; and Saddleback College
- West Virginia/Rome: West Virginia University and University of Roma Tor Vergata
- Mass/Central America: Western New England University, Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, and Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana
The contact information provided below is for media only. If you are not a member of the media but would like additional information, please see the Solar Decathlon contacts page. If you are a member of the media and have questions about the Solar Decathlon, please contact:
Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Department of Energy
U.S. Department of Energy