Volunteer for Solar Decathlon 2015!Tuesday, May 26, 2015
By Carol Laurie
One of the best ways to experience the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon is by volunteering. Volunteers work alongside event organizers to ensure Solar Decathlon 2015 runs smoothly and visitors have an exceptional experience.
“The Solar Decathlon would not be possible without the contributions of hundreds of volunteers,” says Richard King, director of the Solar Decathlon. “They help host, guide, and inspire tens of thousands of visitors during the 8-day public exhibit.”
With the launch of online volunteer registration, Mary-Lyn Chambers, volunteer manager, is now welcoming volunteers for Solar Decathlon 2015.
The following volunteer positions are available:
- Shuttle bus speakers
- Visitor liaisons
- Registration volunteers
- Education Days mentors
- Site operations water delivery/retrieval assistants.
In addition to contributing to the event’s success, Solar Decathlon volunteers will receive a souvenir t-shirt and hat.
“As a volunteer, you will be so inspired by the decathletes and their competition houses, you won’t want your shift to end,” Chambers says.
Learn more about volunteering and register today!
Volunteers by the Numbers
- At Solar Decathlon 2013, 1,200 volunteers donated 7,700 hours over 1,300 shifts.
- As many as 200 volunteers work each public exhibit day in the Solar Decathlon village.
- Volunteer docents provide guided tours of the village, describing the highlights of each house.
- About half of volunteers come from our sponsor partner companies.
- A one-hour online training session and additional reference materials are provided to all volunteers.
Carol Laurie is the communications manager for the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon.