407 Days and Counting: Solar Decathlon 2017 Dates AnnouncedWednesday, August 24, 2016
By Solar Decathlon
This week, the U.S. Department of Energy announced that Solar Decathlon 2017 will take place in October 2017, in Denver, Colorado. The competition houses will be open to the general public for free tours on nine days over two long weekends:
- Thursday, Oct. 5–Monday, Oct. 9, 2017
- Thursday, Oct. 12–Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017.
Why the wait? Over the next 407 days, the 14 collegiate teams selected to compete will be designing, building, transporting, and bringing to life their fully functional solar-powered houses. While the two-year wait between competitions may seem long for Solar Decathlon fans, it is a race to the finish line for the decathletes that participate in the biennial event.
The location of the next Solar Village will be the 61st and Peña “smart stop” on the new commuter rail line connecting the Denver International Airport to downtown Denver. This development, which emphasizes sustainable, vibrant urban living, is an ideal location for area residents and visitors to experience cutting-edge demonstrations of zero-energy-ready living.
The Solar Decathlon allows visitors to get a hands-on intensive consumer course in sustainability, offering a public demonstration of energy efficient design, clean solar energy technologies, smart home solutions, water conservation, electric vehicles, and sustainable materials.
The Solar Decathlon 2017 event in Denver offers something for everyone:
- The Solar Decathlon Competition and Public Exhibit—Free of charge, the general public is invited to tour the competition homes and engage with student teams. Opening celebrations, Contest awards, and Final Competition Awards are presented throughout the event, allowing attendees to share in the winning excitement.
- Community Festival—In partnership with the City of Denver, Denver International Airport, and other regional partners, the Solar Decathlon will include activities to draw a wide variety of attendees. Food trucks, pavilions and family activities will create a festival atmosphere.
- Sustainability Expo—Forward-thinking companies and non-profits will have the opportunity to share strategies, products and technologies that can be incorporated into homes today and in the future.
- Professional Development and Consumer Workshops—Ongoing throughout the event, Solar Decathlon organizers and sponsors will collaborate to host workshops featuring both professional- and consumer-focused topics.
- Education Days—The Solar Decathlon also offers multiple fieldtrips for K-12 students with dedicated educational activities and tours of the teams’ houses, as well as professional development for teachers.