Congratulations to the Solar Decathlon 2020 Build Challenge teams!Monday, January 28, 2019
These collegiate institutions represent a mix of new and returning teams that have participated in the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon® in previous years. Below are the teams participating in the Build Challenge.
- Hogeschool Utrecht University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri
- Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Valparaíso, Chile
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- University of Denver, Denver, Colorado
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada
- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- Weber State University, Ogden, Utah
The Solar Decathlon is a collegiate competition, comprising 10 contests, that challenges student teams to design and build highly efficient and innovative buildings powered by renewable energy.
The Solar Decathlon continues to push the envelope on the design of the most high-performance, efficient, affordable, innovative buildings while leveraging opportunities to showcase student innovation and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education, as well as to foster workforce development opportunities. The winners of the competition are the teams that best blend design excellence and smart energy use with innovation, market potential, and building efficiency.
This year’s Solar Decathlon offers two tracks that build on the strengths of previous DOE student competitions: (1) an annual Design Challenge and (2) the Build Challenge.
Additional details are on the Solar Decathlon website. DOE is excited to work with the next generation of building science professionals and to welcome these collegiate institutions to the 2020 Solar Decathlon Build Challenge!