Solar Decathlon Sponsors Share the SpotlightMonday, August 25, 2014
By Carol Laurie
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon captures the attention of millions of people worldwide. As partners of the event, Solar Decathlon sponsors share this spotlight and gain outstanding exposure—onsite, online, in print, and over the air.
In 2013 alone, the Solar Decathlon achieved the following worldwide media coverage:
- Total media impressions: 2 billion+
- Total media stories: 2,400+
- Online articles: 1,750+
- Print articles: 350+ in 150 publications
- Broadcast: 200+ television stories and 150+ radio interviews
- Media attendance: 225 media onsite.
The Solar Decathlon also has impressive digital reach, with social media driving traffic to the website, where sponsors are recognized.
- Solar Decathlon 2013 website: 3.2 million page views and 500,000 visitors
- Facebook: 15,500+ fans
- Twitter: More than 13,000 followers
- YouTube: 1,200+ subscribers and 1 million+ video views
- Flickr: 2.8 million overall image views
- Instagram: 950 tagged photos by public.
In addition, thousands of people visit the event in person to tour the competition houses. During the eight-day public exhibit in 2013:
- 64,000 visitors took more than 300,000 house tours
- More than 3,000 middle-school and high-school students and teachers attended Education Days
- 1,200 volunteers donated 7,700 hours.
Throughout the Solar Decathlon village—on signage, in the Visitors Guide, and even on volunteer T-shirts—event sponsors receive exposure to thousands of visitors and volunteers. Depending on the level of sponsorship, sponsors can even receive outdoor exhibit space, speaking roles in ceremonies, co-branding opportunities, and more.
Increased exposure is just one of many ways Solar Decathlon sponsors benefit from partnering with this award-winning competition. Learn more by visiting our Sponsor page.
Carol Laurie is the communications manager of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon.