Solar Decathlon Middle East
BE PART OF SDME 2020
The application submission deadline is extended to June 30, 2019, at 12:00 UAE time.
If you would like to have an online meeting with the SDME 2020 team, please contact us via email@example.com or call us: +971 4 3223496, +971 4 3222964
On June 17, 2015, the Dubai Supreme Council of Energy, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA), and the U.S. Department of Energy signed an agreement to collaborate on the development of Solar Decathlon Middle East (SDME 2018-2020), a competition that integrates unique local and regional characteristics.
This competition takes place under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and chairman of the Dubai Executive Council, and is organized by DEWA in Dubai at the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park. SDME consists of 10 contests similar to those in previous editions of the competition, customized to challenge student teams to adapt their designs to the heat, dust and high humidity of the Middle East
Middle East Climate
The SDME embraces the goal of developing and promoting ideas, capacities and technologies that can be implemented for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Middle East region. Competition submissions should respond to the cultural, climatic and social contexts, and the high-performance prototype home should successfully perform during the competition period. All proposals should be focused on addressing issues and needs for sustainable living in this region, where high temperatures, high humidity and dust condition our daily lives during most of the year.
Solar Decathlon Middle East is held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. For more information, see the Solar Decathlon Middle East website.
The following teams were selected to compete in Solar Decathlon Middle East 2018:
- Ajman University of Science and Technology (United Arab Emirates)
- American University in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
- American University of Ras AlKhaimah (United Arab Emirates)
- Dhofar University (Oman)
- Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands)
- Heriot-Watt University Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
- Gabriele D'Annunzio University of Chieti-Pescara; University of Pisa; Second University of Naples; University of Sassari (Italy)
- Islamic Science University of Malaysia; University of Technology – Malaysia (Malaysia)
- Ion Mincu University of Architecture and Urbanism; Technical University of Civil Engineering, Bucharest; Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani in Dubai; Polytechnic University of Bucharest (Romania-United Arab Emirates)
- National Chiao Tung University (Taiwan)
- National University of Sciences and Technology (Pakistan)
- New York University Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
- Qatar University (Qatar)
- Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)
- University of Wollongong (Australia)
- The Petroleum Institute; Zayed University (United Arab Emirates)
- University of Sharjah; University of Ferrara (United Arab Emirates-Italy)
- University of Bordeaux; Amity University; An-Najah National University; Arts & Métiers Paris Tech; Bordeaux School of Architecture (France-United Arab Emirates-Palestine)
- Virginia Tech (United States)
- King Saud University (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
- The University of Jordan (Jordan)
- University of Belgrade (Serbia)