Architecture Contest (100 points)
For the Architecture Contest of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2015, teams were required to design and build attractive, high-performance houses that integrated solar and energy efficiency technologies seamlessly into the design.
A jury of professional architects focused on:
- Architectural concept and design approach
- Did a clear concept guide the design process?
- Was there coherence among architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and landscaping elements?
- Did the design offer a sense of inspiration and delight?
- Architectural implementation and innovation
- Were the scale and proportion, indoor-outdoor connections, and composition effective?
- Was the design holistic and integrated? Will it be comfortable for occupants and compatible with the surrounding environment?
- Was the natural and electric lighting well-integrated? Were the lighted spaces rich and varied?
- Was quality demonstrated in material selection, detail, and implementation?
- Did the house reflect an innovative approach to residential architecture?
- Did the team drawings, construction specifications, and audiovisual presentation accurately reflect the constructed house?