Teams competing in the Solar Decathlon Design Challenge work in multidisciplinary teams, and optionally with a Design Partner, for one or two academic semesters to prepare creative solutions for real-world issues in the building industry. The competition culminates in the Solar Decathlon Competition Event, where student teams present their designs to a panel of industry experts, discuss design strategies with peers, learn from thought leaders, and connect with industry partners through unique networking opportunities. Winning teams are recognized with awards on the international stage, and winning design projects are also posted on the Solar Decathlon website. Through the vast global Solar Decathlon network, this high-profile competition provides national exposure and recognition for successful teams and collegiate institutions.
The Solar Decathlon Design Challenge continues to build a global community of current and future professionals dedicated to providing solutions to complex problems related to climate change, affordability, and environmental justice through building design.
- Collegiate institutions are recognized as leaders who are producing career-ready professionals with real-world skills.
- Students develop market-ready design skills, form lasting connections with leading industry professionals, and join the growing global network of Solar Decathlete alumni.
- Industry partners and sponsors who collaborate with teams gain national recognition and play a transformative role in building the next generation of knowledgeable design professionals.
- Alumni maintain a strong connection to a professional network of design professionals who share a common background and grow their leadership skills through mentoring opportunities with current student teams.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2022 DESIGN CHALLENGE
Complete details are available in the Design Challenge Rules, which will be available July 2021. Collegiate institutions can start preparing for the 2022 Design Challenge, planned for April 2022, at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colorado.
- July 2021: Solar Decathlon Design Challenge Rules are released, and Team Applications open.
- October 26, 2021: All Design Challenge Participant Teams must complete the Team Application. All teams with a completed Team Application are accepted to participate.
- September 2021 to March 2022: Competition webinars and Building Science Trainings are offered to Participant Teams.
- November 31, 2021: Teams are encouraged to submit an optional Project Pitch.
- February 2022: All teams must complete the Project Proposal and finalize their Division selection.
- April 2022: Finalist Teams compete with presentations to industry leaders and awards presented to winners.