Appliances Contest (100 points)
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017 Appliances Contest was designed to mimic the appliance use of an average U.S. home. Teams earned points for operating their refrigerator and freezer, washing and drying laundry, and simulating cooking tasks and hot showers.
Full points were awarded for:
- Maintaining the refrigerator temperature between 34°F (1.1°C) and 40°F (4.4°C)
- Keeping the freezer temperature between -20°F (-28.9°C) and 5°F (-1.5°C)
- Washing several loads of laundry
- Drying several loads of laundry using active or passive drying methods
- Simulating cooking by using a kitchen appliance to vaporize 5 pounds (80 oz or 2.3 kg) of water several times during the competition
- Simulating several showers by drawing 15 gallons (56.8 L) of water in 10 minutes or less at an average temperature of at least 110°F (43.3°C).
For complete information, see the Solar Decathlon 2017 rules. Solar Decathlon teams should always refer to the rules.
The scores for the Appliances Contest are shown below. Also shown are measurements collected for the Refrigeration and Freezer subcontests. Roll over each graphic with your mouse for more information.