Water Contest (100 points)
Always ahead of their time, past Solar Decathlon teams have consistently integrated water use and reuse strategies into their designs, even though no points were awarded for this effort. Now, the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017 is rewarding smart water solutions for the first time.
This new contest is important not only because water is a precious resource, but also because water and energy are inextricably linked—it takes water to make the energy we use, and it takes energy to treat and deliver the clean water we require. A jury of industry professionals will evaluate each team's approach to water conservation, use, and reuse based on the following criteria.
- How much water is the house expected to use compared to a standard code-compliant house?
- Does the design encourage a homeowner to use less water?
- How well are water conservation strategies integrated into other design elements of the house?
- Reclamation and Reuse
- Does the house enable water reclamation and reuse? If so, what impact are these strategies expected to have?
- Are health and safety considered in water reclamation and reuse?
- Is the climate of the target-client's site considered in landscaping?
- Do hardscaping and plant selection conserve water usage?
- Does the landscape and irrigation design consider energy and water efficiency?