Architecture Contest (100 points)
Architecture Contest Scores
For the Architecture Contest of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017, teams were required to design and build attractive, high-performance houses that integrated solar and energy efficiency technologies seamlessly into the design.
A jury of architects evaluated each team's architectural design based on many criteria, which are condensed in the following list.
- Architectural concept and design approach
- How well did the team utilize an overall clear concept, idea or ideas to guide the development of the whole design process?
- How well does the design solution and competition prototype house demonstrate overall coherence among disciplines and systems of the home?
- How appropriate is the home to its target site? Does it address unique issues and challenges in its design and execution?
- How effectively will the overall architectural design offer a sense of inspiration and delight to Solar Decathlon visitors?
- Architectural implementation and innovation
- How effective was the team in its use of architectural elements including, but not limited to: scale and proportion, indoor/outdoor connections, composition, and linking of various house elements?
- How effectively did the team create a holistic and integrated design, inclusive of space, structure, and building envelope?
- How well does the team integrate both natural and electric lighting into the competition prototype?
- How well does the competition prototype demonstrate quality design through material selection, well-conceived details, and architectural implementation?
- How well did the team integrate energy-efficiency concerns, energy production technology, and performance considerations into the architectural design?
- To what degree did the team integrate transportation and pre-fabrication strategies and detailing into the competition prototype?
- How effectively did the reviewed deliverables enable the jury to conduct a preliminary evaluation of the design prior to its arrival at the competition site?
- How effectively does the team use digital technology, such as photography or graphics, to represent their competition prototype remotely?
- How accurate, complete, and clear are the competition drawings and specifications?
For complete information, see the Solar Decathlon 2017 rules. Solar Decathlon teams should always refer to the rules.
Loading the data.