Market Potential Contest (100 points)
For the Market Potential Contest of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017, each team is required to design a primary residence for year-round occupancy for a specific target client of its choosing.
A jury of professionals from the homebuilding industry will evaluate the overall attractiveness of the design to the target client and the market impact potential of the house based on the following criteria.
- Market Potential
- To what extent could the design and integrated design elements positively impact the U.S. residential energy efficiency and renewable energy industry?
- How successfully do the competition prototype house, material, equipment, and design details demonstrate exterior and interior appeal for the target client?
- How effectively does the team use sustainability features and strategies to make a positive contribution to the marketability of the house to the target client?
- How effectively does the team demonstrate the market need for the competition prototype house and associated components?
- How well do the design details support a safe, functional, convenient, comfortable, and enjoyable place to live?
- How successful is the design of the house’s lighting, entertainment, and other controls?
- How successfully do the design details of the competition prototype meet the unique needs and desires of the target client?
- Cost Effectiveness
- To what extent does the house offer a cost-effective value to the target client? To what extent is the cost effectiveness supported by reasonable and complete market analysis?
- How do the sustainability features integrated into the competition prototype enhance the home’s market value?
- How successfully was cost effectiveness considered in design decisions?
- To what extent does the estimated competition prototype cost align with market needs and expectations?
- How effectively do the reviewed deliverables provide sufficient quality and detail to enable a general contractor to estimate and build the design as it appears on the competition site?
- How challenging would the competition prototype be to construct successfully? How successfully does the design respond to the target site, client, or climate?
- How successfully does the team cost estimate reflect the competition prototype house as it appears on the competition site?
For complete information, see the Solar Decathlon 2017 rules. Solar Decathlon teams should always refer to the rules.